Thursday, April 17, 2014

HITS Sprint Tri April 12, 2014

Team Velo Wrench is proud to have Charissa & Marc both racing at the HITS Tri in Napa Ca this past weekend.  Below are their race reports and a few photos.  GREAT JOB!!!



Race report by Charissa Odom:

“Hello!  While y'all are down in Sea Otter, I finished the Napa Half Ironman (70.3m) yesterday.  It was awesome.

As it turns out, there are hills around Lake Berryessa.  

A wonderful thing about racing this time of year is the green!  It was absolutely beautiful out there with many wildflowers along the way.  It was a perfect day to race.

As to the course: it was challenging.  The water was a good temp, but the buoys were very hard to see.  I swam a little extra after all of my zigzagging!  The bike course started with a good, long, steep uphill.  I love hills on my tri-bike and with my aero-helmet!  After 56 miles of biking, I was ready to run.  The run was 13 miles of more hills.  I'm proud to say I finished!  My overall time was 6:22 and I placed 6th in my age-group of 14 participants.  

To some nitty-gritty: During the swim I had a serious cramp in my calf.  I've never experienced cramping like that before and I still can't figure out why it happened yesterday  My body was up to all kinds of mischief--not only did my right calf cramp, but my left knee felt very bruised about half way through the swim.  Maybe the Lake Berryessa-ness Monster got me.  Neither pain really ever went away, but I was able to continue.  Today I am pretty pathetic when it comes to talking.

This event was two big firsts for me: my first race of this distance AND my first race participating as a 30 year old.  Those chicks are FAST!

Thanks, Vinny, for prepping my bike!  It worked great.

Cheers!
Charissa’


Race report by Marc Truncano:

"Today and 0703am I started the swim portion of the Hits Sprint Tri.  This is a good early season Tri with water temps about 63 degrees. 
I also had trouble seeing the 2 small orange buoys and 1 yellow buoy for the final left turn to the water exit.  I started in the front line of the 40+ age group wave start and fell in behind a strong swimmer who came from my right side but this guy was so strong that I could not even hold his speed while being in his wake, water drafting, How bad is that?  I came in in a good stop overall after the swim in this wave start after passing and going around MANY people from the 39 and younger first wave. 
My bike was strong as normal, if I do say so myself, LOL, and was never passed on the bike but I passed MANY people. 
The run started with my legs somewhat tight but after about a half mile they loosened some.  I was passed by 3 guys from the 35 and younger wave and 2 girls and with about a quarter mile go a guy came up aside me that I thought was in my age group and we ran with each other pushing each other until I could do no more.  He got 3rd place in my age group and I fell to 4th.  I`m happy with the 4th place finish for an early year Tri, and I finished 37th in my wave out of about 120-ish athletes.  I LOVE leaving those younger than me behind me.

I agree with Charissa it’s good to see the GREEN.
Marc"

Charissa in action at the HITS Sprint Tri. thanks Ryan Odom for the Photos

Charissa with her husband Ryan after her finish at the HITS Sprint Tri

Marc with his medal after completing the HITS Sprint Tri

Marc during the run portion of the HITS Tri in Napa CA

 

No comments:

Post a Comment