Sunday, June 9, 2013

Tri for Real, Rancho Secco Ca - June 2nd 2013

Charissa & Ryan Odom have been flying the TRI flag for Team Velo Wrench this season & they have been rocking it!  Both raced hard to second place in their divisions @ the TBF Tri for Real.  Keep up the great work you too!!



Race report by Charissa Odom

Hello!

Ryan and I had a fantastic time yesterday racing the TBF TRI for Real at Rancho Secco.  It was my first Olympic distance course, and I LOVED it.  Ryan and I both took 2nd place in our categories.  Ryan was 20th overall!

The water is just warm enough at Rancho Secco.  I wore my wetsuit, but I've swam here before without and was fine.  Though I was passed by a few swimmers in the wave that started after me, I didn't lose heart.  I had a feeling I was one of the last of my age group out of the water, but you never really know!  For me, I still have to keep focused on a steady stroke and breathing, not so much on speed yet.  I'd love to cut my swim time way back!  

This is my first race on my new TT bike.  I am so thankful for VINNY for how well this went.  Not only was the bike tuned up perfectly, but it fit me very well!  Vinny spent 3 hours on Friday afternoon making adjustments for me.  First I was up in the trainer to get the fit.  Then he'd send me out for a trial, I'd tell him what was happening, and he'd make expert changes.  It's amazing how important a few mm can be on that bike!  Thanks, Vinny, for helping find just the right saddle and saddle fit!  

By this point in the day, it was HOT.  The run has no shade cover at all, but plenty of aid stations.  I could see the little white tents ahead and kept thinking about the cool water that they'd have.  TBF always has a great group of volunteers!  So, I was trucking along at my pace and feeling strong enough.  Then, I was passed by a woman who might have been in my age group (her markings had worn off).  I considered pacing off of her, but decided to keep with my steady run.  Here is where planning and pacing comes in--she was heaving on the side of the trail five minutes down the line and I trotted right by her.  I had planned to pick up my pace for the last mile, but the heat was a bit too intense.  So I could only sprint the last 3 tenths of a mile, but I passed a few folks right at the end (none in my age group).

I am looking forward to the next TBF race coming up in July.  Ryan and I are going to do the TRI for Real series and see how much we can improve our times!  

Cheers,
Charissa

Charissa 2nd Place!!

Fear the Beard!  Ryan second place!!

No comments:

Post a Comment