Sunday, June 9, 2013

Rockhopper Classic, Lagoon Valley CA - May 26th, 2013

Team Velo Wrench had a great Rockhopper. Kristen got 3rd in the Open Women division in the Super D. Amy won the 19-39 Women Cat 3 XC. Kurtis got top 10 in Cat 1Mens 19-29 in the XC and 6th in Super D. Danny placed just barely outside top 10, in 11th his divison in the XC. On a sad note...Kristen found no Mud all day.



Race Report by Daniel Sullivan

     I have to agree with Amy, the start was a bit confusing. I finally figured out that it was all Men's cat 3 starting at the same time. It was a bit crowded at the start until we started up the hill to the water towers then it thinned out some. I made it safely to the bottom of the hill after a close call with the rider in front of me. Unfortunately I dropped my chain going up the single track on the NE side. That cost me a couple of places then it did it again going up the W side single track and I got passed up again then one more time a little later...I finally figured out I could no longer use my lowest gear. The rest of
the race I was playing catch-up...it was pretty motivating. Unfortunately it wasn't enough because I ended up in 11th place in my cat. But overall it was a load of fun and thanks to Vinny and Brandy and every one from the team who showed up, I had a blast.
  



Race Report by Amy Rondoni

     The start was a bit confusing as to whether we were starting with the juniors or not, but none the less, it was a start. The course was in prime shape and everyone was jamming. I was trying to coach an opponent down hamburger hill, but when she started saying, "I can't do this", I knew I had to make my way around her and book out. I have put down better runs on this course just free riding compared to race day. Race day was more mental than physical for me. I never
felt strong and wanted to quit from the very get go, but knew that wasn't an option.
     What kept me going? The age 40+ beginner women who are my inspiration.
     There were many times out there that I questioned, "Why am I killing myself?" I realized it's a simple answer. Because I can!!!
      All in all it was a great day for racing. The event staff was great, and
post race festivities were well done. The high light was watching Nate pull raffle numbers in his Team Velo Wrench jersey amongst all of Ray's cycle peeps.
Thanks for the support and the opportunity to race. Congrats to all the other riders who were out there mashin it up!!! -Amy

Amy coming in to the finish

Amy for the WIN!

Danny coming in to the finish in the XC.

Got Frog?  Kristen 3rd in women's Open SuperD!

After Super D Kristen coning in to finish of XC.

Kurtis coming in to finish of XC

Kurtis off the start of the Pro/Cat 1 XC race.

Team Velo Wrench Pit

Vinny!

No comments:

Post a Comment