Saturday, April 27, 2013

or as Vinny calls it...Sea Donkey



2013 Sea Otter, A.K.A…Sea Donkey, by Vince Coons

     What can I say about sea Donkey? First, it was an awesome trip.  I handled the cooking and in keeping with Sea Otter tradition, I did a bike build the day before a race. I am happy to report that the bike was flawless and in no way responsible for the placement of the rider in the final sprint for the line.  



     We did coin a few new phrases, like “choncha-ria” (the bad things that happen to your naughty bits when a bike doesn't fit) and my favorite “The Vinmahall” (my 4 bedroom tent, a favorite of any kid that walked by).



     I got some serious schmoozing done with most of our sponsors. Kali was very happy to see us and even offered up some hats which Pat Sasaki will be getting me soon, or I will call his boss. Serfas as usual came to play, and hooked up this old guy with my new favorite shoe the Serfas Zirconium Road (they ROCK). You know they are a good sponsor when they meet you at the tent and already have your beer in hand.



     I would personally like to take a second and thank another Team Velo Wrench sponsor, Alvarado Equine for stepping up and giving a race reimbursement for all Team Velo Wrench riders that pre registered and gave Brandy a receipt. Also team, if you get the chance; please take a second and thank Luis Alvarado, whom BTW will be stepping up as the President of the Velo Wrench Bike club. Thank You Luis!!!



     Did Vinny ride???  Well…Hell yes I rode, I just didn't get to race.  Danny and I rode out to the road race course to cheer on Richard. We watched as he came by a few times got some pics of him racing and headed back to the camp, back up 3 miles of climbing. Good news is that the sore leg eased up a bit about 1/2 way up the climb but I did pay for it that night. On the climb out, Danny and I traded yelling at each other and the passing riders in French and Italian as to confuse them as they passed us by. When Richard passed we yelled “Allez Ree-charrd Allez” leaving his competition confused and unable to keep up, thinking he was a Frenchy.



      I and Richard were also given the opportunity to hang at the VIP reception for the new Jamis women's Pro Road Race Team.  Richard ran in to the Yackle Brothers whom joined us for dinner that night at our camp.  I cooked for everyone.  I spent some time with the Jamis engineer, and may have convinced his to make a Campy build for the Jamis steel Eclipse, which I will have if they do.  I WILL! I also ran across my other new bike the Jamis 650 Nemesis carbon MTB. (Brandy interrupting here, my plan to get everyone on a 650b is working!  Muwahahaha!!)  Yes I will! (Any man can have a bike, but it takes a Vinny to have a Harem.  Shuuush don't tell my wife)



     All in all a good one, I hope more of Team Velo Wrench can make it next year. 




Tutti Insieme- Vinny"
"Allez Vinny!"  Vin on the RR course cheering on Richard

Coming back in to camp

Fancy new Serfas Zirconium Road Shoes

Presiding over the camp & kitchen.

Jamis Bikes!!

Love our Kali helmets. 

Chillin at the Serfas tent


No comments:

Post a Comment