Saturday, April 27, 2013

Adventures at Sea Otter 2013

Vince, Brandy, Richard, Danny, Leslie, Amy and Kurtis all made the trip down to race/ride/chill at the Sea Otter classic.
Here are a couple of race reports:

Richard Nagel races the Cat 4 Elite RR & Circuit Races @ Sea Otter-


 “Hello everyone, Sea Otter was great. Thanks Vince and Brandy for all you did. Thanks for the mechanic work on my new KHS bike Vince.

     Alright, race recaps time. – The Road Race on Friday was great. 54 mile 5000ft of climbing kicked my butt.  The course was good to fair. Lots of large potholes on the first half of the course after the first decent, but it was “Flat tire alley” for a lot of people.  Luckily I stayed clear of the left side of the road through there so no flats for me. The course is much better after that section. I did well for the first half of the race was in the front of the peloton. 4th lap in, one guy jumped off the front and blew up the rest field including me! I worked with 4 other guys chasing them down. We would touch the back end of the group one more time before they pulled away and stayed away. I finished in 2:42:56. I went through 5 bottles of Skratch Labs fluid and three things of Honeystinger Food.

     The circuit race on Sunday was awesome! The course is a famous race track so it is always has wonderful road conditions. The race was very fast but I couldn’t tell you how fast because I forgot to start my Garmin! (No Strava PR’s for me) I was in the pack and doing well all the way to the last lap.  I got dropped half way through the steep climb.(My legs were feeling the road race from Friday)  I tried like hell to make up time descending the corkscrew. I threw myself into the hard left turn and thought for sure that I was gonna crash but the bike stayed upright and held the speed (what felt like 50+mph).  I saw the peloton at the bottom of the 180 degree turn while I was at the top but that would be the closest I got. I work and finished hard.”  -Richard


Richard racing the Road Race

Richard climbing the Road Race

Richard working to bridge the gap

Richard mid Circuit Race


Kurtis Westbrook raced Cat 1 XC on Friday - 40miles, through hot temps and tons of dust-

Sea Otter Classic Cat 1 XC

        I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this race other then I knew it would be painful because I had never rode 40 miles with 7800 feet of climbing on a mountain bike and have never done that much climbing in one day. I acquired some intel from my teammates and riding buddies and the basics of it were that there was a lot of fire road and some deep sand descents to look out for. My main goal of this race was to finish and if I was able to finish ahead of some people that would be awesome.
        I made the long haul out to Laguna Seca Raceway Friday morning after a big breakfast; I arrived, set up my tent, and ate a little something for lunch. The race started at 1:45 and Brandy showed me the way to the start where I warmed up on the race track. Soon enough the race was off, my group (which turned out to not be my group because my racing age is 25) started up the race track in one pack and we were all drafting two guys in front. Once we made the left turn on the dirt things started to spread a little bit and the pace kicked up also, but I was able to keep up with the front half of the group. It was a fire road hammer fest until we got to the first steep rocky climb where almost everyone dismounted and ran up. I had a gel at the very top and descended down some more fire road until I got to some sweet twisting sandy single track. I made a few passes here, the whole time I was pushing the bike pretty hard, some of the turns were really tight making me want to have smaller wheels but I made it through fairly well.
        After the fun stuff I hit more fire road followed by some sandy single track descending which led into the really sandy descents that dropped down on some flat double track. I implemented my drafting skills and rested a bit here and ate a waffle. The race went down a road and then up a bit where there was a water station, I took some water and downed it. After the water station the race went on some single trail that went along the side of a ridge which dropped out on more fire road. There was a long single track climb followed by a decent and then some more single track climbing which led out to the last bit of fire road climbing until the second lap. During the first lap I ate a good amount and drank almost both of my bottles of water. Luckily Brandy and Richard were at the start of the second lap to hand me off two more bottles this time with Skratch Labs in them.
        I was pretty worn out from the first lap but knew I could press on, it wasn’t until first single track climb where I started to cramp. I was able to push through a few more cramps but my pace had dropped of significantly and I couldn’t see through my glasses very well because they had become coated with sweat. At this point I knew I was way out of the podium and was just going to complete my goal of finishing. At the very last single track climb before the fire road I passed a guy playing some ACDC which rose my spirits a bit and I made my final push to the finish. I was exhausted, but in better condition than some people because I seen someone puking and people lying on the ground. My main concern after finishing was to find camp and get some food in my body, but this was made difficult because the volunteers did not know where anything was.
        After the race I found out that my finish time was 3hr 45min and that I had actually beat two people which made me feel a bit better about my performance. Next year, if I do this race, I would like to get my time down to around 3 hours and to do this I will need to spend more time in my road bike saddle on long rides. All in all it was a great weekend, spent time with my teammates, met some of the sponsors (Kali, Smith Optics, Jamis Bikes, Serfas, ESI Grips Honeystinger, Skratch Labs), checked out a bunch of cool stuff, got some free stuff, rode a pump track, listened to a band that was giving away tacos, seen some old friends, and got a great work out. *Trail narrative may be out of order. It was a long race.”  -Kurtis 

Kurtis before his XC race

Kurtis on the start line

What 40 miles at race pace looks like. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment