Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Dunlap TT - 6/8/2014


Race Report by Marc Truncano:

Hello all,

I know the mountain bikers were feeling the heat and so were we TT-ers (new word) at the Dunlap TT in Winters today.  With a start time just after 1130 this morning the road temp was around 105 I think at the beginning and probably 112 or so at the end.  Anyway my race report is one word - OUCH!!!!!!!

-Marc

 
Race report by Mike Poplewko:

Team,

     As you all know this was an epic weekend for racing for Team Velo Wrench.  Great job to all at the Rockhopper. For my part I chose to race the Steve Dunlap Memorial Time Trial.  The course this year started outside of Winters instead of South from Davis in past years and followed the Putah creek smack down out and back route with the turn around on Stevenson Bridge Road.  The whole course is flat with good pavement so that pretty much meant time gains were going to be determined by the weather conditions and fitness instead of significant climbs or technical corners.  That was certainly the case for this day with the forecast calling for triple digit high temperatures and winds from the North gusting 15 to 20.  I started off on my race quickly getting up to speed then settling onto position.  At this point all I wanted was to keep just below my threshold and maintain pace.  I always start TTs a little fast because of the excitement and adrenalin but I was also feeling good and the carbon wheel set I got from Vinny sounded awesome so I kept the pace up and soon caught my 30 second man and it wasn't too much longer till I had my minute man in sight but I decided to ease up knowing I would be dealing with a head wind at the turn around point.  Now for the “ouch” part Marc described in his report.  Once I made the turn I was back up out of the saddle to get back up to speed but my legs were filling with lactic acid and it was very difficult to maintain the same speed I was before.  Fearing I was paying for my fast start I sat down in my pain cave and focused on my breathing and tempo only staring at the two or three feet in front of my bike.   This tactic continued till I made the turn back on Putah creek into a head cross wind and could shift into a higher gear.  I did eventually catch my minute man and finished 13th. Thanks again to Vinny for the wheel set.  -Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment