Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Race Behind Bars part 2


Race report Mike Wilson:

This past Sunday I   participated in this race, which is held on the grounds of the Folsom State Prison, along the American River. I raced in the Clydesdale division, which seems to be growing lately, as I had 11 riders in my group, and a few more who DNS/DNF.  The course is a 5.5. mile affair, with a mix of single track, Fire road and some trails that are closed the rest of the year, as this race is held on the property of the State Prison. There is not a lot of climbing, aprox 600 feet per lap, and nothing real big. Our group did 3 laps.

For me the race started off quickly, as I was able to get to the front and made it into the first singletrack downhill section in the lead of my group. This descent comes out onto a fire road that leads to the first climb. My goal here was to drive the pace and try and get a gap on the rest of the field, which I was able to do with the exception of “Mike The Pool Man” who is something of a local favorite in this area, (his house is right outside the gate of the racecourse)

On the first lap, Mike the Pool man followed me and was just marking my pace. I knew I was in a little trouble, as he was wanting to have a conversation to catch up on what had happened in the past year since we last raced, how’s the wife and kids, he told me his birthday was coming up (he will be 50) I see you got a new bike, No I can’t race the rockhopper, (will be hung over from the Birthday party) The point of all this was he was doing all the talking, my answers were limited to “yes, (Gasp!)”  and “No,  (Gasp!)”  Meanwhile, he was chatting like we were out for a Sunday ride…  We were able to gap the 3rd place rider, (my Friend from Vacaville, Larry St. John) by 2 minutes or so but about halfway thru the 2nd lap I had to let Mike go, I just was not able to hold his pace. I kept pushing as best as I could, and despite a small washout crash I did not have any problems, and I was able to bring it in second place for the day.

I did see that Leslie was down about halfway thru the last lap, and she did appear banged up, but she had help with her and I knew she would be OK.

All in all a good day- with the exception of Leslie’s injuries everybody was good, we had a nice turnout for the team and everybody had a good time. Thanks to Brandy for being there to hand up bottles and to cheer us on!  -Mike

 

Race report by Ellen Wilson:

Hi all!

So I too raced this past Sunday at Folsom. Mike had signed me up as a beginner however I decided before Race time to put my big girl pants on and move up so I ended up racing Sport class my very first one of course that included racing Leslie and also meant 3 laps of racing not 2. I started out pretty good the reverse course was I think much better than last year I was able to pass a couple ladies go figure on a climb :-) . So in short I finished in 5th place out of 9 riders so for me I was happy of course I had to go see where I would have ended up in the beginners race I would have been 1st or 2nd but I will get there again I just have to work harder in this Sport Class! Thanks to all my Teammates who raced and supported and to Brandy and Cole who were there for water hand offs!   -Ellen

 

Race Report by Danny Sullivan:

A whole lot of fun! The race started off fairly fast, I couldn't seem to get to the front of the pack before we got to the single track so I conserved a little bit of energy and hit the longer climb a little harder. I passed several guys in my group on the first lap and I tried to keep the speed up to the single track to the forest where we got a little slowed down. After the climb on the second lap I tried to pass as many as I could but by then I couldn't tell if they were in my group or not anymore...so I just hit it as hard as I could and ended up with 10th place finish. It was great fun with a great showing by team Velo Wrench!  - Danny.

Cole getting ready for his race.

Cole on the start line

Danny mid race.

Danny powering up a steep little climb

It was warm out, Danny tossing an empty bottle

Ellen powering up the little climb

Ellen mid race

Ellen got to hand ribbons out to all the kids in the Kids Race

Greg powering over the top of that punchy little climb

Greg mid Race

Jeannie, Ellen, Greg and Leslie post race, keeping cool in the shade.

Kurtis off the start line

Kurtis waiting to race

Leslie at the start of the short climb

Leslie lap 1

Leslie and Ellen on the start line

Mike 3rd place!!

Leslie had a bit of a tough race, she went down on her 2nd lap.  Good news, she is ok, and has been healing well.  Lots of scrapes, cuts and bruises...and that is about it.  Here is what she looked like the day of the race:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment