Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Race Behind Bars part 1

Race report by Kurtis Westbrook:

Race Behind Bars May 18th 2014

                When I arrived at the event and registered I found out that they were going to be running the course in the opposite direction as in past years. I had never ridden the course in this direction so my warm up consisted of a little recon of the course. I went and did the gravel road climb that is usually a downhill and realized that it was going to be a big factor in the race. Since there was a descent at the top of the climb I figured I wouldn’t hold back on the climb because I could recover going downhill. Once I finished my warm up I refilled my bottles with some Skratch Labs and headed to the start line. There were some pretty fast people that I was lining up with so I knew it was going to be a fast start.

                When the race started I was toward the back of the group because I figured I would save some energy and push the climb. This would have worked out if I wasn’t held up on the very steep short climb to the top of levee. The two people ahead of me went up this climb a lot slower than I anticipated so I was forced to slow, unclip, and run up the rest of the way. This messed up the two people behind me also, kind of a chain reaction. I had some distance to make up before the climb so I pushed hard to the base of the climb and pushed hard up it and gained back a few spots.

                I hammered on the rest of the course following close behind a few riders; I made it a point to try and pass them before the forest and was successful. I got a pretty clean run through the forest with no hold ups, I did go over the hump on the last bridge way too fast a caught some unexpected major air. I was able to land with my back wheel but the fork still bottom super hard. All was good with the fork but there was a section of the course right before entering the baseball field that wasn’t marked very well. I made a wrong turn and quickly corrected but was passed by a few riders who were close behind. I held on their draft through the fields and the levee and was able to make some passes on the gravel climb again. These riders were able to hold my wheel though and sat there through the remainder of lab 2 and 3. Each time I entered the forest where I knew I could put some space on them I was held up by riders in other classes so they were able to catch back on.

                On the fourth lap one of the riders behind me took a hard pull and was able to put some distance on me. The other person who had been following close behind me was Scott from Mike the Poolman. Scott and I made a plan to work together to catch the rider that had passed us, he took the first pull and was able to close the gap. Once we caught him I pulled hard and put some distance on him, Scott was able to hold on for a few and then fell back. They were still right on my tail so I went hard for the remainder of the lap and was able to get through the first part of the forest but was again held up and they caught up. Scott for some reason was held up for longer in the forest so It was just the other rider we had worked together to catch. After making it through the forest I had a little bit of distance but not much and he was closing fast. At the end I didn’t have enough sprint and was passed right before the finish.

                I felt pretty good about my race; I raced hard and really did most the work. Had I been able to catch a draft I am sure I would have had more legs at the finish. My time was 1 hour 38 minutes and I was 7 minutes behind the first place rider. I really need to work on my power for these flatter courses.
Kurtis mid race

Kurtis mid race pt. 2
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment